Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: First Place Redlegs!

  1. #21
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: First Place Redlegs!

    Quote Originally Posted by CoeburnCane View Post
    Agreed that Votto is an elite player at 1B, but I think just like Pujols could make the move from LF to 1B that Votto could make the reverse move with ease. He moves very well and has more speed/athleticism than what Alonso does. To me--you have to move Votto as opposed to Alonso. Trust me--after watching Yonder play for 3 years at UM, I think his ceiling as far as having the athleticism to play LF is lower than Votto's.

    I know Yonder's been playing LF in the minors so far, but the jump to LF in the majors would be a bigger jump. 1B's his natural spot and where he's best suited in my opinion. I am surprised by his 10 SB's so far this year though, so maybe he has gotten leaner/faster. Per the Reds site, he's listed at 6'2/210, at UM he was listed at 6'1/215. If that's the case then I can see the move--I know it's only 5lbs, but that was really the difference for him in college...just a little too heavy to use speed. Just based off of how I remember him at UM though, no way he needs to move off 1B.

    I'm not going to complain either way. A Cane playing for my favorite MLB team? Good times. Hope it happens soon.
    I'm not moving an IS for an IF. Put Alonso in LF and lock Votto up long time at first base. He's on pace for a breakout year, if you project his numbers forward from here out it's around 40 home runs and 120 rbi. Don't mess with him.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  2. #22
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: First Place Redlegs!

    Most ridiculous loss since the Mother's Day game against St. Louis a few years ago. Dusty Baker shows his ignorance yet again.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  3. #23
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: First Place Redlegs!

    Im glad I traded that crappy Cordero cat too.. jk That was crazy no doubt about it.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  4. #24
    Inactive Member collegetrumpet2010's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2009
    Posts
    852
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: First Place Redlegs!

    Wow I thought the game was tonight. I get to my dorm, check scores and see the Braves already swept the Reds and I looked at the box score and there had to be angels in Turner Field.

  5. #25
    Inactive Member CoeburnCane's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,931
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: First Place Redlegs!

    Quote Originally Posted by pvfan View Post
    I'm not moving an IS for an IF. Put Alonso in LF and lock Votto up long time at first base. He's on pace for a breakout year, if you project his numbers forward from here out it's around 40 home runs and 120 rbi. Don't mess with him.
    I understand your line of thinking, I respectfully disagree though for this reason: Votto is an established MLB hitter, Yonder isn't. He'll need some adjustment time at the plate (which is the main reason the Reds drafted him in the first place--his potential offensively). And, when on (like so far this year), Votto is a Pujols-level hitter--and I'm pretty sure you didn't see a drop off (or at least a major one) in Albert's numbers when he made the move from OF to 1B. I think Votto can make that move to LF and have zero issues either in the field or at the plate, I have great confidence in that. Yonder playing 1B would help him put his mind at ease defensively as he'd be more comfortable at his natural spot, and he could concentrate on honing his offensive skills once in the show. Plus, batting somewhere in the lineup around Votto/Phillips will help if that occurs. The less worry Yonder has defensively, the quicker he'll get comfortable offensively. And I'd rather put more stress on Votto b/c I think as an established big-leaguer (****-near elite level player), he can handle it because he knows what it takes on that level already.

    Your way, if Alonso can't pick up LF, struggles at the plate as a result, and gets traded/cut, then the cycle at LF for Cincy continues, and a first-round pick was wasted. My way, if my hunch is right on Votto, you've got your LF problem figured out for years to come, plus you have a really good young 1B in your lineup for years to come (barring trades). You're making an assumption and so am I, just a matter of which way pans out.

    Like I say, I won't complain either way, I'm tickled to see Yonder as a Red. I've hung out w/his parents at games on many an occasion, had dinner w/his family on road trips--great people. I always joked w/him when I saw him about how he needed to go to Cincy and help my team--hopefully he'll get his shot sooner than later.
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
    [U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]

  6. #26
    Inactive Member Biggin's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 18th, 2002
    Posts
    9,588
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: First Place Redlegs!

    First it was Jason Heyward, no shame in giving up a game winner to him, but Brooks Conrad???

    Its a shame for Leake tho, he was nasty. Only allowed 1 run, he has to be the ROY. Im a huge homer, and Heyward is gonna be elite for years to come, but Leake has just been otherworldly. Im not old enough to remember, but I hear the name Valenzuela thrown around.

    Can Leake keep this up Reds fans? Do they have the offense to get him 3-4 runs in his starts? the NL Cy Young race is too great, I dont see Leake being able to beat out Lincecum, Halladay, and Ubaldo Jimenez.

    Jimenez is 8-0 with a sub-1 ERA, something like .87 ERA with no losses, playing in Colorado.
    [IMG]http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh111/Vic_Fontaine/sig.jpg[/IMG]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •